Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

Not a good day

Sometimes you get days that are just so amazing, when you feel like everything is falling into place: you're in love, your work is going well, you have a place to live, food in the fridge, money in the bank, a cat on your bed at night, streaming Netflix on the Wii, and some good girlfriends. And that is enough for you.

Today is not one of those days.

I'm sure Julian will chime in at some point on this, since he was witness (or at least a witness over Skype and email) to me losing the plot. I'm not proud of it. Basically, J has a friend that I cannot stand. I'll call him Richard. Richard is in my opinion a mean, domineering jerk who pushes J around and expects him to basically come when called. So when Richard tells Julian they are going out for drinks, it's not a request but a command. (Julian will I'm sure disagree with me but whatever.) Julian is probably Richard's best friend, and has been since they were in their first year at university.

Richard also HATES me. Hates me! Sometimes it feels something like jealousy. At first when it was just us going out when I was doing my junior year abroad, Richard would make snide remarks about my hair (messy) and my clothes (apparently very American, which was a bad thing in his eyes). My friend Veronique told me that she one time heard Richard say to someone that Julian was wasted on someone like me. Julian told me to ignore him if it hurt, but that Richard just has a strange sense of humor. Once J and I got engaged, Richard exploded and actually called me up and told me I was free to ruin my own life but I was not taking Julian with me. It felt like someone punched me in the stomach. I told Julian to have a word with Richard about this, and said I would feel better if they didn't see each other for a while out of respect to me, which Julian did.

I don't want to go into it right now, but Julian and I did have a break for a while last year. Richard was overjoyed we had broken up. It was horrible, but I got the last laugh when I sent him an engagement announcement in March. Ha ha! Seriously though, J had a long talk with Richard and made it clear this is what he wanted, and I promised to stay out of things where Richard was concerned. Well, this is where it all went kinda pear-shaped, as J would say. Richard emailed me yesterday to say he would do everything he could to stop us from getting married.I ignored it. He wrote again, telling me that all I was interested in was Julian's family money. I wrote back saying that that was a mean and inappropriate thing to say, and that it was totally OTT. Richard wrote back and called me a selfish bitch, dragging J 6000 miles from home. So I forwarded the chain to Julian because by this point I was in tears.

Then J told me to ignore Richard, that he's just going to miss having his best friend around, and that he's been having a really difficult time at work (he works as an investment banker at a bank that shall remain nameless but is all over the news right now) and probably drinking too much. It made me cry even more because I felt (not for the first time) that he's defending his best friend against his future WIFE when it's the friend who is the problem! J said that wasn't the case, that I was always his best girl, and that he would take care of things with Richard. They're having dinner tonight to talk about this. I don't want to keep him from his best friend, but it is so painful.

Mary brought me a Frappuccino to my desk to help me, and I just ate one of my emergency Milky Ways I stuff in the bottom drawer of my desk. I called Jen and Jenn and they agreed to come over to my apartment later with bottles of wine. We're going to watch He's Just Not That Into You and Notting Hill (hello, nostalgia?) and veg out. I promised Julian I would be sober enough to talk at 1am though!

So... bleh.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, 'Richard' is it? Cute.

    Oh come on, it wasn't as bad as all that. Look, maybe you're just not cut out to marry an Englishman. You obviously don't understand the English sense of humour, and quite frankly you're just creating stress where there really isn't any. If I were the cynical sort I could accuse you of the same thing. Maybe you're trying to break up a years long friendship for some reason that simply escapes me.

    By the way, J and I had a fantastic dinner at Club Gascon on Friday night. Shame he'll be stuck dining at such fine establishments as 'Taco Bell' and the perennial favourite 'MacDonalds' for however long he manages to stick it out in America. Which I'm betting can be measured in months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better at Taco Bell with me than eating foie gras with you, Alex, and that's why he's coming here. We'll send you an invite to our 20th wedding anniversary party, assuming you haven't died from cirrhosis by then.

    Maybe if you were more supportive of what your friend really wants to do with his life YOU wouldn't be causing all this stress.

    And how the hell did you find my blog???

    ReplyDelete