Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Lots to catch up on

I'm just going to start off with a very brief statement: if you do not like what I write about or how I write it, no one is forcing you to read this blog. I never intended for you to read it anyway and if you leave I won't miss you. I won't even stoop to address some of the things you wrote about me, and Julian and my mother-in-law to be. That is all I will say about this. I had a therapy session this evening and we talked about this, and Joanna said that if I choose to keep blogging, I need to not let other people's lies to get to me.

So... a lot has happened since I last posted. I want to kind of do this in chronological order, even though obviously the big news is about the house. But if I write it as it happened, then it's easier for me to make sure I don't miss anything. So Monday, we met up with Jocasta at her suite at the Langham. I was really pretty nervous about going, not only because the last time I saw her was during a visit to London in March of 2009, when it still looked like Julian and I were getting married (I mean we still are, but the first time we were engaged). She's always been very cold with me, as I've mentioned before, but Julian says I'm just too sensitive and assume that what are jokes are actually insults. We were at dinner one night, at the family pied a terre, and when I ate my bread with butter, she said something like, "Melissa, how brave of you to eat butter like that, as if it were cheese. Of course you know your metabolism will change when you're 24, so best to break that habit now." I was only 2 months away from my 24th birthday and she knew it!

Anyway, we met up at the Langham, which I had heard about but never been to. My friends always stay on my couch if they're visiting from out of town, or at a Motel 6, or at my parents'. It is absolutely gorgeous -- here it is: http://pasadena.langhamhotels.com/ We had to get there pretty early because we were due to see all the houses in one day, since Jocasta said she needed to leave California by Thursday afternoon (which she has). Jocasta is... pretty much everything my mom isn't. My mom looks like a mom, like you can hug her and tell her your problems, and she'll listen to you. Jocasta is very thin and when I hug her it isn't very comfortable, unlike being in my mom's hug. I always feel like I might break her. But I hardly ever have to hug her anyway; she's much happier with a kiss on the cheek. She and Julian checked through the details of the houses while I poked around the grounds a little since it was a relatively cool morning. Julian called me on my cell and told me to come back, since the realtor was here now, and she was due to show us the houses.

It had been so long since I'd seen them, I'd almost forgotten what they were like. The first one we went to was the four bed I loved the best, with the Aga appliances, and all the original wood. Jocasta inspected every room, while Julian spoke to the realtor about the schools in this area, and crime rates, and things I hadn't even considered to ask. I was just focused on how the place felt. We all went to look at the kind of overgrown backyard, and Jocasta said what a charmingly rustic feel it all had, exactly the sort of project that would keep me busy. It was just the way she said it, maybe, but something about it made me feel trapped, like all I was good for was gardening and wasting time while Julian got to go out and be in the world. Also, I can't garden; we always had gardeners, like everyone else around here. I asked her about the inside, what did she think of the rooms, and weren't they gorgeous? She looked at me and said, "They're rather small. I suppose if they were all children's rooms, that would be one thing. But I know that it will be at least 5 years before you fill all three extra rooms, and you will need room for entertaining." 5 years? To have three children? I can't even think about that. We left after Jocasta grilled the realtor some more about the neighbors, and what sort of people they were like.

Next up was the five bed I also liked. Again, Jocasta spent a lot of time trying door handles and looking in closets and making comments about American wiring. Julian really liked that the studies were already set up, and he loved the master suite. He walked around with me this time, holding my hand and talking about it as if it were already our home, where he would put things, where we sleep, and eat, and live together. He was spinning a whole story for me and I just knew this was the one. I looked him straight in the eye and told him this is where I wanted to be. I didn't even want to look at the third. And if he trusted me and knew me, what I was about, he could see this is where he wanted to be too. I don't think I've ever seen him look at me the way he did then -- it was as if he finally felt connected to me as a wife, as a partner, and not just Melissa. Something about me had broken through him, through his often hard shell. It has happened many times before, that I get beyond the surface, but this time... there was something different. I guess he realized that this was it, the start of a new life, and having a happy wife was something he needed to have.

He called Jocasta and the realtor in and told them that this was it. He wasn't going to see the third. This was the house that made me happy, and my happiness was what was most important to him. Oh, and that he loved it too, that the studies were ideal, and the neighborhood (which is basically the same as the other one, just a little closer to Old Town) was acceptable. I kept my eye on Jocasta, who didn't look happy. At all. Her mouth was very, very tight. She asked the realtor if she would please excuse her and Julian, but they needed to have a private word. Jocasta stalked out of the kitchen, and Julian followed her to I guess one of the studies. I heard the door shut, not slammed, but shut firmly. I couldn't hear their voices but I knew this wasn't good. The realtor told me a bit more about schools, and how much more convenient it was for Old Town, and I told her I loved it and I wanted to be here. She said that she could see that Jocasta was hesitant, but that ultimately it was Julian and my house. I could have hugged her for that.

About ten minutes later, Julian and his mum walked into the kitchen. Julian was smiling, and Jocasta wasn't, which I figured was a good sign. He said that he wanted to make an offer on this house, and that he would need to speak with his lawyers here first, but that later today he would be in touch with a figure. I could hardly breathe! I hugged him, and he just looked down at me with the same look he had before. "Melissa, I am going to make you the happiest wife I can," he said to me. I know he means it. We ran around the house again, looking in the bathrooms and closets and everything. This was it! Our home at last. Jocasta was not happy, but it isn't her money anyway, it's his and will soon be ours.

Oh god, I am so tired and it's 2am and I haven't even gotten to Monday's dinner! I will really try to do all of this tomorrow -- I have the day off to go with Julian to sign some power of attorney thing at the lawyers that will let me act on his behalf while he's back in London. I don't really need the whole day off, but Julian is leaving on Monday and I want to spend a full day just with him. I had to go to work Tuesday, Wednesday and today, so I want to really maximize the time we have together. Luckily not too much happened on those days since they were mostly filled with me going to work, Julian taking care of things with his mother at the lawyers (more than just the house, they are trying to work out some tax structure that I couldn't understand), and then us seeing Jocasta for dinner and then coming back here to just be ourselves. So busy. But tonight we got to go out with Jen again, which was just as great as last time, and we went to 21 Choices. Even Julian likes 21 Choices!

Actually, huh, it looks like I just covered Tuesday through Thursday, so tomorrow I will write about our dinner, because it was not what I had hoped. Oh, and the RFE, which we sent off today! Hooray!

19 comments:

  1. Alas, it sounds like you were manipulated yet again without even seeing it. But the house sounds lovely. Tell us what you had to mail in for that RFE thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Julian and his mum walked into the kitchen"

    Mum? Julian, did you write this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband says and types "mum" when referring to his own American mother too, he's just used to it.

    The house sounds gorgeous, Melissa. And I'm glad Julian stood up to his mother and confirmed that he wanted the house, I was afraid she would put her foot down. Can I ask though, why exactly is she there? She hardly helped with things, except to make snotty remarks about what she expected of both you, your child-bearing, your activities, and the house - and the final decision came down to you and Julian anyway.

    What I also find interesting is that you described your encounters with Jocasta as awkward, intimidating, and generally negative. But I saw Julian the other day claiming that you two got on really well, and were so into conversation. Is that more an example of how he brushes it off when you say "she's cold"?

    - Gemmie

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'suite at the Langham' 'the family pied a terre' omG give me a fkin break, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the house! Sounds lovely, hope to see some pictures soon!

    Good luck with the RFE. Hope you get your NOA2 soon! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chinky and Gemmie -- thank you for your kind thoughts. They are really great to hear and you both signed your names, which I appreciate.

    Chinky -- I'm not going to post any pictures because of some of the comments I've been getting. I'm sure you can understand why. I was really excited to post pictures, but I'm kind of scared of people figuring out where I live. Julian said he knew of people getting stalked online and he didn't want that to happen to us, so he said he didn't want me to post any and that he wouldn't be too impressed if I went ahead anyway. I will try to give a good description of the place though!

    Gemmie: I'm glad Julian put his foot down too. It's times like this that I think I'm pretty lucky to have someone on my side like him to stand up for me. Julian doesn't see his mother like I do, but am really trying not to be so negative about her, even after what she did at dinner on Monday (but I am getting ahead of myself). I guess as her son he just sees all the good in his mum, just like I see my mom as pretty amazing, even though some people call her exasperating! Jocasta was here to help give her input on the house, but in the end we didn't need it. She also came over to assist Julian with some of the various trust fund issues that I don't really understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so basically Julian FORBADE you from sharing photos, is that right? God Melissa, can't you see how controlling he is? Really? You have been posting for almost 3 months and everyone keeps telling you to see him for what he really is -- an emotional abuser who bullies you constantly. Get a grip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I don't think I've ever seen him look at me the way he did then -- it was as if he finally felt connected to me as a wife, as a partner, and not just Melissa. Something about me had broken through him, through his often hard shell. It has happened many times before, that I get beyond the surface, but this time... there was something different"

    What are you even talking about? Who talks like this? Life is not some ridiculous romance novel. Start living in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I most certainly did NOT forbid her to post anything. She's not my slave or my child, I don't have it in my power to forbid her anything. We make these decisions together, just like any other normal couple. I told her my concerns, and she agreed. It's not controlling you mindless muppet, it's working together. And you people continue to prove that our decision is/was a good one.

    For example, I have encouraged Melissa many MANY times to, at the very least, turn the anonymous comments off on this disaster, but she's got it in her head that it's important to allow you assholes to have your say. If I were really as controlling as you say, you'd have never been able to make your stupid comment, and it would have been deleted immediately even if you had used your real name. Controlling? Please. Things would be a lot different around here if I were, believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The other thing you need to realise is that Melissa, like most women, tends to be nervous around her future mother-in-law. What Melissa writes is what she is internalising, not what is actually happening. To read it, you'd think my mum and her are mortal enemies, but nothing could be further from the truth. They get along fantastically, and while yes there are some awkward moments as they both get used to each other, there is also a lot of warmth between them. I'm delighted that my mum and Melissa get along so famously, and the idea that my mum manipulates her or ridicules her is simply preposterous.

    For those who wish us ill, you can seriously go to hell. But for those of you who wish us well, I can only say that I wish Melissa wrote less from her anxieties and more from reality, and I'll keep trying to help her get there. But for now, I'll try to do my best to 'translate' for her, and perhaps between the two of us you'll get a better understanding of what the real picture is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say, I'm actually on the Julian/Melissa side of this. Melissa never said Julian forbade her to post photos. I don't think it's a good idea for anybody to post photos of their house, and if my fiance and I were buying a house and he kept a blog, I would ask him not to post photos either. That doesn't make me controlling and emotionally abusive, it makes me smartly cautious.

    JP

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's not posting pictures because she's not real. Neither is he, Jocasta, the house, Alex, etc. Think about it...have any of you seen ONE pic of any of these people?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dunno, have I seen one pic of you?

    Seriously, not everyone has blogs covered in pictures, and the way that some people are going on in comments here I would be shit scared to post any identifying details about myself. I think I'm going too far signing off with initials but I will.

    -- FH

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm happy you haven't seen any pictures of us, 'Anonymous.' I'd hate to think of what you mob would be like if there were. And you won't, at least not any time soon, if ever. Would you post pictures of yourself if you were being subjected to some of the insanity we've been subjected to? I seriously doubt it.

    And what if there were pictures? Would this convince you? No, it would not. You'd just go on about how they were stock photos or just normal people posing as the fake people here, or whatever other fancy your addled little brain could produce.

    Also 'Anonymous', I don't see you even posting your real name, let alone pictures. I suppose you're just a figment of our imaginations also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. FAKES! The lot of them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you're shouty, anonymous. I like it. Keep shouting, you're turning me on. lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Speaking of being turned on, where did Alex go? I was looking forward more interactions with him.

    Muriel

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the house!! I do have to admit that some of the comments I read from Julian about American's didn't go over too well with me, but whatever, i have my opinions about people too. Anyway, I don't blame you for not putting pics of the house on here, I wouldn't either. Julian is right, people are crazy and the last thing you want is some psycho tracking you down. I'm also glad for you Melissa that he stuck up to his mother like he did. There is a saying.."A daughter is a daughter all of her life, a son is a son until he takes a wife." Best of luck to you both!!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why can't I post a comment!!!

    ReplyDelete