Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Not what I expected.

Julian is here now (he is asleep in the bedroom right now, so I am trying to be quiet typing). He came yesterday afternoon, and it was just about the most amazing thing to get to see him again, to be held by him again. When he came out of arrivals pushing his bags and looking a little lost and tired, I felt a rush through me, like the first time I realized I was attracted to him. He saw me and smiled, and waved a little, and I thought wow. This is really happening. And this is the last time he will come to America on the Visa Waiver Program. Next stop: K1! He just took me in his arms and held me tight, like he never wanted to let me go, and then took my face in his hands and smiled, then kissed me. He told me I was even more beautiful than he remembered, and how lucky he was to have me. I felt unbelievably light and happy. Like all of this is real.

He asked if we could get a porter for his bags, but I said no, I'd help push if he was tired. He said he had slept on the plane for about four hours, and that that was fairly easy in Business Class. He said First had been sold out when he booked the flight, but that Business was not too bad these days. We got to the Porsche and Julian checked it out a little (he did what he called a "proper" inspection of it today and said that although he was still disappointed I had not bought the Mercedes, that the Porsche was OK "for what it is"), then we loaded up the car and set off on the 110 for Pasadena. I had wanted the top down but Julian said that he didn't feel up to it just yet, and that on the freeway all the fumes might make him sick.

We got back around 5:30pm (I had had to wait for him to get through immigration; the good news was that they didn't even ask him to prove he had ties to the UK, he just had to wait in a really long line), and I ordered in some Chinese food since he loves the honey walnut shrimp from Go China. We just collapsed in a heap on the sofa while we waited, and he lay there with his head in my lap, snoozing a little while I just felt great. When the food came, I opened a bottle of wine (now I'm off the Klonopin I can) and we chatted a little about his flight and what we need to accomplish this week in terms of the house. When we couldn't manage any more food (I had way too much fried rice, I am not going to fit into my wedding dress if I keep eating like this), Julian asked if he could have a nap and I joined him. (lol)

We ended up getting out of bed again at around midnight, and we had a little more wine. We talked about Alex and how important it was for him that we get along again, and I said I was really trying, and Alex was too. I told him that Alex and I now talk about every other day for a few minutes, and that I'm slowly feeling like I can trust him again. J was very pleased to hear that. But I wasn't prepared for what Julian told me next at all. At all.

He kind of worked up to it this way. He said, "Melissa, there's something I need to tell you, and I probably should have told you before I got here. But I was so conscious of your delicate mental state that I felt I couldn't tell you, not when I couldn't be here." Uh oh, I thought. What is he going to tell me -- that he's secretly already married, that he wants me to move to England, what? And then he hit me with it.

"Melissa, I thought it would be useful for both of us to have additional help in our househunting, from someone who has done it more than once before." (OK, I thought, that leaves Alex out of it.) "I felt the best thing to do was to invite my mother to come and help us. She wants to help us get started on the right foot, and I think having her assistance will be extremely valuable."

Oh god. Jocasta. Jocasta? What do you mean, I asked him, your mother is coming? I don't have any space to put her up. I can't believe you didn't tell me! What am I supposed to do? I can't have her here to my apartment. She doesn't even LIKE me, and I told Julian that, but he told me I was just being silly, that his mother loved me like another daughter (not a compliment -- you should see the love she doesn't give to Julian's sister Annabelle) and that I would benefit from her help. And that she was arriving on Sunday night around 7pm, and going straight to the Langham so I wouldn't see her until Monday. Yes, tomorrow morning. I know he is doing this because he really thinks it will help, so I will try to get along with Jocasta for his sake. I don't have to like it.

I went back to sleep after this, and he stayed up and talked to his friend Jamie for a while. He eventually crawled back into bed around 5am. It was just so nice to be held again, and to wake up next to the man I love so much. I got up and tidied up a little, then called my parents to tell them Julian was safe and sound, and that we would be coming over for dinner that night as planned. I also told them about Jocasta and my mom was LIVID! She said, "How could Julian not tell you something as big as that beforehand?" I said it was because he was worried that I would react badly and he wouldn't be there to take care of me. She said she could understand that, but that I wasn't a little girl, and that he needed to treat me like a woman for a change. My dad was upset, but actually said he was looking forward to meeting "the famous Jocasta." I have a bad feeling about that. Their political beliefs are on opposite sides of the spectrum. I am going to have to ask him to behave.

Jen came over around noon (J was in the shower by that point) and the three of us went out to lunch (we had to take Jen's Prius) at Matsuri. Jen and Julian really get along, and we were all so relaxed I almost forgot all about Jocasta. I was just so happy to see Julian being himself, his real self, and seeing how people really can like him. After lunch J and I went back to the apartment and he took me for a ride on the 210 in the Porsche. It was a lot of fun, and we did get to have the top down. I felt just like I imagined it would be, with us just being HAPPY for a change. He complained a little about the sluggish automatic transmission, but he said he knew I couldn't drive stick.

We went to my parents' house for dinner at 7pm. Julian was on his best behavior and so were my parents. My mom really did look happy when she saw him, and he told her she was just as lovely as ever, and they even had a little hug. He shook my dad's hand, and told him how happy he was to be here with his daughter, and how proud he was to be making me his wife. We had a perfectly pleasant light dinner of sea bass and fennel, with apple pie for dessert (my favorite). My dad told some terrible jokes and my mom told us some really quite disgusting stories from work about people with broken limbs and blood everywhere. (Thanks, mom.)

We got back around midnight, after Julian and my dad had some whiskey in the living room. My mom and I talked about Jocasta while I helped clean up. She asked me how I really felt about it, and I said: scared. She told me that she didn't raise any chickens, just two beautiful daughters, and that if I was unhappy with anything Jocasta said to me, I should just say so. Ha! She doesn't know Jocasta, but I guess she will soon.

So tired, and I need to be up to meet Jocasta with Julian at 10am at the Langham, then on to view the properties. Big day, I'll need all the luck I can get.

17 comments:

  1. oh my gooooooooooooood

    why are you even with this man

    jesus chriiiiist

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, Julian doesn't sound so bad here. Yeah, not telling her his mother is coming too is a bit of a douche move. But he sounds like he really cares about her. And she hasn't spiraled into a "woe is me" pity party here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't TELL someone you've invited your mother to stay at their apartment, you ASK them. How rude can Julian get, seriously? I really don't see his behaviour as anything less than controlling and manipulative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. His mother is staying at a hotel, not her apartment. It's still rude though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'He said he had slept on the plane for about four hours, and that that was fairly easy in Business Class. He said First had been sold out when he booked the flight, but that Business was not too bad these days. We got to the Porsche'

    Funniest.i-need-to-show-people-I'm-marrying-money.post.ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh oh. And so it begins. Given that Julian basically wants you to assume a support role centered on him and his family business, I suppose getting his mother involved without your consent or knowledge beforehand should come as no surprise. I wonder how many times he'll use your supposedly fragile mental state as an reason to keep things from you until it's convenient to drop the bomb.

    Is his mother anything like Bunny from Sex and the City?

    ReplyDelete
  7. With a mother named Jocasta, I BET she's like Bunny! lol

    Must be dinnertime there now; dammit Melissa, why aren't you live blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother has more class in her small finger than the critics here have combined, thank you very much. And by the way, as Melissa will confirm, dinner was lovely. Mum and Melissa got along fantastically, and at one point were so engaged in chatter with each other, they hadn't even noticed I'd excused myself to the loo. All to say that although there was some initial anxiety, the surprise was very well received. What a horrible monster I am, to provide the two most important women in my life with a fantastic meal and great company, eh? Absolutely horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice try, Julian. You really think we believe that Melissa did anything more than just behave like you told her to? I bet Mummy Dearest is just as arrogant as you are. You two have her sewn up. I was over feeling sympathy for Melissa, but I'm starting to feel it again now there's two of you.

    Who wants to bet that when Julian "excused himself to the loo" he was bent over some toilet tank, snorting blow through a $100 bill?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes 'Anonymous,' I smuggled cocaine into America just so I'd have something to do in the loo while mum and Melissa chattered on like budgies over dessert. So clever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mummy's little poppet, how cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How's that RFE coming along, Julian? Have you convinced Melissa of how much of an idiot she is yet? Or is her delicate mental state so fragile that you can't even let her touch the papers anymore? Every day you don't fix this is another day you can't be building your business in America. Chop chop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Speaking of 'delicate mental states,' maybe you lot ought to have yourselves checked out.

    The RFE is coming along swimmingly, by the way. It's good that I did insist on both of us working on it together. I'm sure Melissa will write more on that, just the odd comment is all I can stomach with you anonymous idiots. I just hope someone is as supportive to you in your 'journey' as you've all been with Melissa and I.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh Julian you really are a slimy little prick.

    And Jocasta! What a ridiculous name. I bet she's got a face like a horse through generations of in-breeding.

    ReplyDelete
  15. But how can Julian be scorchio if his mother is a horseface?

    ReplyDelete