Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Dear diary, why can I never get it right?

I messed up. Big time, I'm told. I kind of didn't end up getting the Mercedes. I test drove it and it was nice, but the salesman also showed me this super-cute pre-owned Porsche Boxster, and it was THOUSANDS less than the Mercedes. I took it for a drive and all of a sudden I could see Julian and me, driving along the coast on our way to Santa Barbara or Sonoma, with the top down and the wind in our hair. It is super-cute! Here it is (ad is now down but I nabbed a pic before it did: Boxster) -- dark blue with a stone leather interior.

So I kind of thought it would be MUCH better than an SUV -- I'm only 24 (well, 25 in 10 days) and it's not like I need to transport kids around or anything. And also it was cheaper! I thought I might take the extra J wired me and put it towards a down payment on a house or something. I thought J would be happy that I got something that I thought suited me, and was a reflection of who I am and not a soccer mom (which is kind of what the Mercedes made me feel like). So I decided to take it! I signed all the paperwork and the dealer told me everything would be ready for me to pick it up on Friday. I thought I'd be getting it today and was prepared to give up Nick (which they wouldn't take as a trade-in, which kind of hurt me in a weird way) but in the end I have a few more days. I guess I'll sell him on Craigslist, or donate him to charity.

Anyway, I called Julian with my news and oh god. He was NOT happy. I can always tell when he's really angry because his voice gets very calm and low. The conversation went something like this:

J: So darling, how did it go?
M: Great! But I didn't buy a Mercedes in the end.
(silence)
J: As in you didn't buy anything in the end or a Mercedes in the end?
M: I tried the Mercedes and it wasn't for me. It just seemed too...old.
J: Promise me you didn't do something stupid.
M: Oh no! No!
J: Like buy something utterly unsuitable. Like another Nissan.
M: No.
J: Spit it out, Melissa. What did you do?
M: I bought a 2006 Porsche Boxster for $27 grand! It's soooo cute and it was way less than the Mercedes --
J: WHAT?
M: Honey, it is really cute and it just suits me so much better than an SUV. I mean, we don't have kids or dogs or anything, so why not get something --
J: Melissa. You are not capable of handling an automobile of that specification. You have a hard enough time riding your bicycle in a straight line and I have yet to see you parallel park that heap of a Nissan in less than 16 maneuvers.
M: That's not fair.
J: Melissa, it's true. And whilst we may not have any children or dogs right now, we will soon. Where are you going to put those in a Boxster? Do we put a baby seat in the boot?
M: No... but we could just trade it in and get an SUV later.
J: And get how much for it then? $27k? For a 4-year-old Porsche? They must have seen you coming a mile away. They ripped you off! You need to go back there right now and cancel the contract.
M: I can't Julian! There's no cool-down period in California! And I love the car!
J: Melissa, I am putting the phone down now. You are not able to drive that car. You never should have been so bloody stupid as to buy something we had not agreed on. We agreed on the Mercedes. You are going to scare yourself driving a Porsche. I will call you back when I have calmed down a bit.
M: When will that be? Julian, honey, I love this car!
*click*

Maybe he's right, maybe I'm not able to handle a car like that. Maybe I should be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment